Contentment
As the title says, I am learning contentment here. This weekend, my house mate, Charisa Chenchin, went to Lake Malawi, leaving me with the house to myself. She has grown up in Africa and is so independent here that she tends to do things for me. I have felt a bit dependent, but this weekend gave me freedom to learn to do things on my own. For instance, instead of attending the Baptist church in town called CCBC for Center City Baptist Church, I attended the chapel on campus. The sermon was straight from scripture and we sang at least one familiar hymn. Also, the service doesn't begin until 10am rather than 8. But the church I would really like to visit, the Presbyterian church close to campus, meets at 7am for the English service!!! You have to be really dedicated to want to go to that service! Maybe next week.
I also had to prepare my own food. Charisa is a wonderful cook and she tends to be more organized than I am, which means I end up eating what she's prepared rather than what I normally eat! And several people invited me to see THE Market, which I probably wouldn't have done, since I usually tag along with my roomie. The market was an experience, that's for sure. People water the ground around their booth to keep the dust from choking them. Each vendor sells the funniest things-one will have stacks of underware sitting on a towel on the ground, another will have cheap metal bowls the women make cakes with, or toys, or clothes that are second hand even for the salvation army in the U.S.! I did buy two chetingies (sp?) which are colorful pieces of cloth the women wrap around their dresses to keep protected from the dust. I also bought a cake tin to attempt an angel food cake here. We'll see how that goes. At least Charisa has American measuring tools in the kitchen!
An update from the last post-I really had my hopes set on changing from kindergarten to literature in the upper levels. Wednesday night I found out through someone's prayer at the large group, that I wouldn't be the teacher and the search for another literature teacher is ongoing. I have to say that was the worst night here for me so far. Even though I came to teach kindergarten, I am amazed at how much one needs to be trained for that sort of position. My education seems so much more aligned with the upper level position, but it isn't going to happen. After a rough night and encouragement from my mother, God has helped me relinquish my disappointment and frustration with the administrative decision. As far as I know, I'll be with my little ones all year, but nothing is certain yet. At least you can pray they will find someone else to help the poor woman handling all those upper level literature classes! She is overwhelmed.
Another exciting development-I've learned to drive a standard on the wrong side of the road! In fact, I drove myself to the internet cafe-less than a 5 minute drive from campus. It's in the main shopping center where everyone knows the ABC staff. I feel very safe here, and don't worry, I will not be travelling further than this. Driving here is crazy! There are all kinds of pedestrians and bikers on the sides of the ridiculously small road, not to mention, people just driving a bit crazy anyway. Most Malawians and people familiar with Africa love the roundabouts that keep traffic moving, but I'm not yet convinced.
There is so much to explain! I feel that I learn so much every day! The climate has already changed. When they say two seasons, they really mean it! Summer and Rainy-that's it. In two days it became blistering hot and it hasn't even finished really warming up!
Many of you have requested my information here:
001-01-761-488
African Bible College
P.O. Box 1028
Lilongwe, Malawi
South East Africa

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home